Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Current

There are so many posts composed in my head, but due to my insomnia (I blame everything on that; isn't it convenient?), I can never remember all the things I intended to write when I'm actually writing. Some more thoughts on fixing problems, then.

Today's web poll results in amNY (so yesterday's question): 60% of respondents say that sex therapy works. Fascinating, especially in light of the discussion in the comments on my last post. 60% is pretty high, right?

Anyhow. Fixing problems. The fix depends on the solution that you want, and that means it depends on priorities. And, as we've already established, right now I have lots of conflicting priorities. I want freedom; I want to explore myself; I want material gratification. I want to be happy. And at the same time, believing, as I do, in G-d and the afterlife, I want to do the right thing according to the creed I've been raised to believe. And I feel that there must be some way I can have it all, but I can't quite figure out how. I've always thought rumspringa was a fascinating idea; I wish it existed in Judaism. But of course - and I believe this - if this life is but a hallway to the next world, there is no time for experimenting with fleeting pleasures. We're supposed to use every minute to prepare for the "real" world. I know what it's like to prepare for a trip. Of course, there's only limited preparation required for most of the things I do in this world, so I have time to laze around on the couch reading a book. But I would almost always finish my preparations (or, at a minimum, calculate the necessary time to finish my preparations) before taking time for leisure. And we know that there is no limit to the preparations for the ultimate din v'cheshbon, so how can we take the time out to do frivilous things? I guess part of the problem is that I don't have a clear idea of olum habah, so it's hard to justify non-stop preparations, especially when they seem to conflict so totally with my happiness in this world, the only one I know.

This was all so much easier before I started having to think of physical pleasure as necessary. It's so much easier to reconcile mental enjoyment with spirituality. Physical pleasure is not just a necessity for physical pleasure; it's sort of necessary for me to fulfill a spiritual requirement. This is no way to start a family.

7 comments:

  1. >And at the same time, believing, as I do, in G-d and the afterlife

    What would you do if you stopped believing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do you think that exploring yourself, being happy, and material gratification is not the right thing?

    Youre going to have a really hard time finding a way to have it all (or most of it- no one gets EVERYTHING, but most is reasonable) as long as in the back of your mind, you don't believe in its worthiness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. btw i don't see you as a good candidate for sex therapy, not at this stage. probably later on, when you are clearer about your life path in general.

    you're getting there. very slowly but sometimes slow is the only way to do. maybe it's my imagination or wishful but i do think your more recent posts show more of a voice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’ve been following your blog. Your introspection is extremely rounded and honest. Wow. You leave not a single blind spot for yourself, as far as the reader can gather. The problem with your willingness to accept your faults and correct them is that you’re working with a system that is the absolute opposite, and if you offer to be the crazy one that needs to change, they’d all gladly let you. But you seem to have realized that no matter what you do it isn't "you"(that becomes obvious when with all your corrections the problem doesn’t go away). Wouldn’t it be easier if you just needed an Rx from the psychiatrist and the marriage would be perfect?

    Lately you're writing with a very different tone. You are giving your own opinions and thoughts a right to validity. Your writing is less clouded with self doubt. It looks like you're coming around!

    I can relate to your “talk a lot, do little” problem. I also have analyzed and convinced and counter argued my need to end my marriage but my clarity after thinking it out in detail leave me feeling better, which is good enough!! Well, for the moment only really! You can take the parts apart and chew it through time and again: the sex, the communication, the autonomy. But the situation as a “whole” is less debatable :-(

    I hope you can find the courage to take that scary leap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I guess part of the problem is that I don't have a clear idea of olum habah,"

    Does anyone? Your quotation of Pirke Avos ought to suffice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. texas slot เกมสล็อตออนไลน์แบบเกมที่ล้ำยุค ควบคุมไว้ ทั้งยังคาสิโน สล็อต และก็เป็นที่ ยอมรับต่อนักเล่นการพนัน มากมายๆ ที่จะเข้ามาพนัน กับตัวพนันที่ร่วมสนุกสนานสำหรับเพื่อการเล่น

    ReplyDelete
  7. สล็อตออนไลน์ ยอดฮิตกับ PGSLOT-TH.COM เว็บสล็อตน้องใหม่เว็บตรง แตกง่าย ปลอดภัย สะดวกเล่นได้ทุกที่ทุกเวลา ไม่ผ่านเอเยนต์ รวยทางลัดได้ง่ายๆ สนุกจนลืมเวลาก็ PG SLOT

    ReplyDelete