Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Breaking Dawn

Either my current therapist is better than all her predecessors or
I've finally reached the breakthrough point in my maturing process,
but for the first time, I feel like I'm making some progress that may
stick. Progress in being more honest with myself, which isn't the same
as progress in my marriage, but I'll take what I can get. The one
constant through all the epiphanies and self-discovery is that I can't
seem to hold on to a solid enjoyment of my husband's company, but I'm
doing better on appreciating his good qualities, and I think I'm even
doing better on applying consistent standards. I'm trying really hard
to make sure that I think rationally about the things that annoy me
before reacting. It's tough, but I think I may even be making progress
there. I'm definitely doing better at getting over my bad moods when
they're precipitated by something disproportionate. So all of this is
really good in that I'm growing up. I seem to have finally caught up
with the fact that I'm not a teenager anymore, even if I do still
enjoy the occasional teen pop book. But on my latest business trip, I
discovered that I no longer find the Disney Channel tempting. This has
to be a positive step. And my latest TV crush is a guy in his early
30's, which is certainly age-appropriate. At least my problem can't be
immaturity anymore. If it ever was. I always thought the problem was
that I was too set in my ways and not flexible enough, but I guess
that's not really the same as maturity. More just a factor of time.
The other thing that's changed a bit recently is that I've stopped
refusing to enjoy myself. I've been afraid to invest too much of
myself in new relationships, particularly with members of my extended
in-law family, in case things go south. More southward than they are
already. But it turns out that these are really fun people, and they
live more in the moment, and it's just fun to hang out with them and
loosen up. And I've always enjoyed being around people more on the
wild side, so I can be less uptight than my normal self without
feeling like I'm compromising my dignity. People who are willing to
make fools of themselves - or don't realize that they're doing so -
are just fun to be around. Of course, enjoying my in-law family is
only going to make a decision to split up harder, but I have to stop
letting things like that prevent me from living now. Maybe if I could
live more in the now, the future would start to look up.
So the moral of the story is that things could be worse. I could have
a vampire out for my blood. Yum.

--
Sent from my mobile device

2 comments:

  1. Aaaah... it's such a pleasure to read some PROGRESS... Bi.

    Living life... enjoying the here-and-now moments (without over-analyzing and being frozen by what-if's)... does wonders for building a positive attitude. And a positive attitude can only bring positive happenings to your life!

    I so wish you good luck!

    (As an aside, and perhaps a tip, I personally believe very strongly in not diluting "sexual energy" by allowing more than a reflex-second of my mind-space (and heart-space) to anyone other than my significant other... as I've found whenever I've done otherwise... it did just that - it diluted the sexual energy and attraction... Basically my rule of thumb is to channel any of it towards my own relationship... as opposed to indulging in any other "crushes" "turn-ons" etc.)


    Best of luck!
    anonyMS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since bi hasn't had that towards her mate to dilute, I can only see outside crushes as a positive thing. It means she does have a timid libido hiding somewhere waiting to emerge. As long as she's not about to do something terribly self destructive I think it would be counterproductive for her to suppress it.

    Glad you're doing better... Just remember your blogofriends saw it coming!

    And don't get too discouraged by the inevitable setbacks. That's how life is- two step forward, one step back...

    ReplyDelete