Friday, February 26, 2010

Wishy Washy

I can’t understand my own mind, so I guess it’s a good thing I have a shrink. Although I haven’t gotten the impression that she understands it either. And since I can’t afford two sets of private, not-covered-by-insurance therapy sessions, I may not have a shrink that much longer.

This foray into sex therapy has been an eye opener, and we haven’t even started anything remotely sexual. It’s just that the therapist has clearly dealt with issues that are at least similar to mine, and it seems to me that if this therapy can fix the technical problems, then there will be nothing left to blame for my unhappiness except for my own unwillingness to “make things work”. And since I’ve committed to this course of action, I’m going to go through with it, but I don’t really want to. I just want everything to work out happily ever after, but I don’t really want to live this life. I’m not really sure what I do want. I told this to the therapist during my individual session, and she was all, “Well, why am I going to put all this effort into reconciling you too if you’re not fully committed?” I was thinking of saying, “Because I’m paying you all this money”, but I didn’t. Instead, I brought up the point that if I’m willing to put in the effort, so should she be.

I am getting a bit scared of the sex therapy; I’m not sure I want to go through with this. I’m not sure I’m willing to do all these things, and not sure I want to do them with this partner. I’ve never quit or gone back on my word, but for all that I’m saying I’m committed to this course of action, it’s a bit like my whole marriage: I really want it to work out and solve my problems, but I’m not sure I can go through with it. I’m going to play things by ear: never give up until you’re sure you’re ready to give up, because once you threaten to pull out, things are never the same, even if you do make it work.

6 comments:

  1. "I just want everything to work out happily ever after, but I don’t really want to live this life."

    There. Show that sentence to your therapist. Both of them. And your husband. And your parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you do not want to have sex with him, don't do it.

    As far as I understood, before you have sex, there has to be longing. If you have no craving whatsoever for him, don't even try...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds to me like you do know your own mind; You just wish you could change it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just wondering, do you actually think a therapist can help you become attracted to your husband?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Divorcee - I don't actually think that, no. I just wish it. But more realistically, I'm kind of hoping a therapist can help me figure out how to be attracted to someone so I can be more sure that my lack of attraction here doesn't signify an inability to be attracted to anyone ever.

    Anonymous 2/27 has it right. I know what I think is right, and I know it doesn't make me happy. I want to be happy. Other things - which may be "wrong" - may make me happy (or happier than now, at least), but I don't know that they will, and I don't want to do the wrong thing. So I'd like to either (a) want what I think is right or (b) think that what I want is right. Catch-22.

    ReplyDelete
  6. and little me thinks that you want what makes everyone else happy so that everyone should be happy with you.

    BTW - Attraction is not an aquired things - you feel it or you don't!

    ReplyDelete