Thursday, April 29, 2010

Anger

I have a lot of guilt regarding the failure of my marriage. After all,
the man I married was pretty much everything I wanted. And I still
want. The only reason we couldn't make things work was that I wasn't
happy. He couldn't make me happy. Semantics. I feel guilty.

Anger helps. It's not real anger; it more of a sad, frustrated
disappointment. Maybe disillusionment? I'm not angry, per se, at my
husband, although I think he bears some of the blame for this
disaster. First and foremost in the list of his mistakes was valuing
his Rosh Yeshiva more than his wife. That pretty much doomed the
relationship. But I can't fault him for that completely; it is a sad
but true fact that today's yeshiva world encourages young men to put
yeshiva before family. First they destroy the parents' authority, then
they minimize the wife's credibility. It works fine if the wife is
willing to submit to the Rosh Yeshiva's will, and luckily, a lot of
Bais Yaakov girls are. Poor me; I wasn't. I thought I married someone
who understood the importance of making (and taking responsibility
for) one's own decisions, but it turned out not to be so.

I'm more angry with all the rabbanim and therapists who've been
involved in this. Pretty much all of them have said some version of "I
could have told you that this was doomed from the start" at some
point. Some of them say it multiple times, in multiple ways, and the
message is always the same: I was an idiot to get into this and I
should have seen that this marriage couldn't work. After all, they all
could see it, clear and obvious. Gee, thanks. How helpful. How
brilliantly observed: you see a couple in distress, and you can tell
they're not meant for each other. Such powerful insight. What about
the experts I consulted prior to the wedding, then? Why couldn't they
see it? Isn't da'as Torah da'as Torah? Or were those people just
idiots? What about family? Why didn't any of them see it? (And trust
me, my family wouldn't have been shy if they didn't approve of my
choice. They might not have stopped me, but they'd have said
something.)

My family's been amazing: no "I told you so"s, no recrimination.
Everyone's been supportive so far. Of course, they all knew I was
miserable for a long time, so maybe they're just glad to see the end
of that. Or maybe they're saving the recriminations for when I'm a
little less emotionally fragile.

Mostly, I'm angry at myself. I know hindsight is 20/20, but I saw some
of the signs before the wedding. Why didn't I realize they were
meaningful and not brush them off as things that would improve with
time? And why wasn't I able to get over them and let them get better
with time? I'm a master at beating an issue to death; I'll be doing a
lot of self-flagellation in the next few months.

But mostly I know that no one's to blame. It's just how things are. It
truly saddens me to live in a world where this is how things are, but
we've somehow let our society develop into this. I don't know how to
fix it, and frankly, I don't know that I want to: the people who made
this mess deserve to live with it. The unfair part is that they're not
suffering for it: I am. I'm suffering for a world I didn't create and
don't approve of. Olum hafuch, indeed. þ

--
Sent from my mobile device

11 comments:

  1. So sorry to read of your pain. Of course, in hindsight you can now understand those pre-wedding signs, but you couldn't have then. Nobody could have. Most people (myself included) had some doubts before getting married - but who can truly interpret what they mean?

    From following your blog for the past year, I get the sense that you are extremely intelligent and have the emotional strength, courage and talent to move past this. After you mourn the loss and are ready to move forward, please know that you have many followers rooting for you.

    Wishing you luck,

    a fan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having been quite outspoken with my opinions on your blog, I'd be interested to know what you found helpful and what unhelpful. Maybe not now, though. Probably better when the dust settles a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear that things turned out that way. Wish you the best. I hope you keep blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a VERY SAD fact, if it is true, that the Yeshiva world encourages men to put "yeshiva" before family/wife.

    I grew up in a more "Chasidish/Bais Yakov" environment, and though Torah is absolutely valued, family and especially "wife" comes before "Yeshiva" or "Rosh Yeshiva"... And that's the way it should be - as the Torah itself encourages only that way.

    If this was truly the main reason (or even the biggest) for the failure of your marriage - that's a travesty. Although that's not what I was picking up from your blog postings along the way...

    In any case - as another commenter said... we (your followers) are rooting for you.

    AnonyMS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear from you, again.

    I think you'll find that you'll be going through alot of this during the next few months.

    If its possible, I would suggest you go on a vacation somewhere for a week or two, on your own if you so desire or perhaps with a good freind. To clear your head and you help you relax.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You stated, "I'm suffering for a world I didn't create and don't approve of."

    You need to remember you have a choice and only you have control over your life. It is yours to live and live however you deem fit. If you do not approve of how things are, then remove yourself from that society and way of life. Once you realize that you cannot change other people or other peoples ways of life, belief system, religion, political view, etc. you will see how much more power and control you have over You, Your Way of Life, Your beliefs, etc.

    If you do not approve, make the changes that will make you happy.

    Took me many years to learn this lesson; no one should have to make me happy. Only *I* can make me happy and only *I* should make me happy. If I am miserable, then no matter what a wonderful guy I land with, it won't matter. I have to be happy with myself, with my choices, with my life. Only then will I be able to see all the wonderful things that surround me, only then will I be open to others making me happy, i.e. like the man I chose to be with.

    Find happiness with yourself, find what makes you feel happiest. Make good choices for you. Put You first. Then you will see things in a totally different light.

    I wish you all the best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What are the signs?
    Help me not making the wrong choice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Obviously, there are many reasons why this marriage failed. And every person who touched this relationship will tell you that the reason they've picked is THE reason. Of course, it's not that simple. If it were, I probably would have figured this out quite a while ago. The reason it took so long for this to end is because the reasons behind the failure are not clear or straightforward.

    I'll probably keep blogging, because I still have things to say - about this marriage, about the system, about self-discovery. But I'm trying to put this period of life behind me, so I'm going to try not to dwell and overthink the past.

    For soso - the signs are different for everyone, I'm sure, but I think the key is: if you don't actually want to, don't. If you're more excited about the wedding than the marriage, don't. If you're nervous, but you feel you can't tell your fiance, that's a bad sign. If you are too scared to trust him because you think the truth will hurt too much - trust me, it hurts more later. For some people, the doubts go away after the wedding, but not for everyone. You have to know yourself. That's the most important thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sorry that things didn't work out with this man, Bilingual, but I am NOT sorry that this development will give you a chance to start anew.

    May you experience luck, blessings and much happiness and success as you navigate your new life.

    I never intended to upset you with my writing, by the way. I wanted you to LIVE, and I still do. If you can, use this experience as a gateway to life.

    All the best...

    ReplyDelete
  10. pg slot 168 เป็นเกมแบบที่เล่นได้บนโทรศัพท์มือถือสบายใช้งานง่าย มีเกมสล็อตให้เล่นอยู่มากมายเยอะมากได้แก่ พีจีสล็อต สามารถใช้เป็นการพนันลงทุนเล่น เว็บไซต์สล็อตของการเล่นเกม

    ReplyDelete
  11. pg ยอดเยี่ยมเกมออนไลน์สล็อตบนมือถือแบบใหม่ปัจจุบันของโลกสมัครเล่น PG SLOT วันนี้ไม่มีเบื่อไม่ซ้ำซากในแบบการเล่นเดิมๆอีกต่อไปเป็นเกมสล็อตที่แจ๊คพอตแตกหลายครั้งที่สุดลองเลย

    ReplyDelete