Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Blame Game

In the last post's comments, someone brought up the subject of blame, so I thought I'd talk about it a bit.

There’s a big difference between blaming someone/something for a situation and examining it as a cause of that situation. Maybe this is just semantics, but I think the point is worth making. Since it’s hard to make this point without devolving into a vague set of undefined terms, I’ll start with the example.

Let’s say you stayed up too late last night doing something unproductive, like watching TV. Thus, you’re too tired to really work properly today, and everything feels like it takes twice as long as it should. Everyone has had days like that, right? Familiar situation.

Okay. Who’s to blame? You are. Not the TV. Still, the TV can be identified as a cause of the problem, which is your fatigue and inability to work to your full potential. It was your stupid decision to watch TV to all hours; it’s your fault. If you want to punish someone or something, you don’t take a hammer to the TV. You punish yourself, probably by creating some sort of TV ban for a while.

In the above example, we’ve identified blame, cause, problem, and punishment.

Let’s change the scenario, without changing the problem. You’re still too tired to do your work today. However, the reason is that you had a baby last month, and you had to wake up every hour to feed it. Now who’s to blame? The baby? You, for getting pregnant? G-d, for allowing the miracle of new life? No one’s to blame. Thus, there’s no need for punishment. There’s still a problem, and it still has a cause, though.

In neither case did we identify a solution to the problem. There are many possible solutions that we can think of: taking catnaps during the day, going to sleep earlier at night, imbibing large quantities of caffeine. Interestingly, all these solutions apply to both cases, since the problem is the same. These are generic solutions, independent of cause. Cause is not the same as blame; blame never has anything to do with solution. Cause does. Blame may serve as catharsis for feelings of guilt, but it never contributes to solving the problem. Identifying the cause, however, often suggests new solution possibilities. Some cause-specific solutions for our examples are getting rid of the TV so that you have one less thing distracting you from bed (although we all know you’ll just substitute something else), in the first case, or hiring a night nurse, in the second case. These solutions don’t apply to both cases, since they are cause-specific. Still, they are solutions, not catharsis. There are also drastic solutions that mentally ill people might consider, like killing the baby. This one is considered pretty extreme and not in keeping with the magnitude of the problem. It’s not a good solution, but it’s still a solution.

Coming back to my own situation, you may be right. I may be blaming all sorts of things other than myself (although I think I blame myself plenty) – and that might help me deal with all this by providing catharsis. That’s similar to the purpose of this blog, or seeing a therapist. I need to get the mental anguish out, or I’ll go crazy.

But I think that most of the time when I’m looking at things outside myself to explain my quandary, it’s about cause, because I’m looking for solutions. Saying that I am the cause of my problem is well and good – and true – but frankly, I don’t know how to extrapolate a solution from that. On the other hand, if I look at, for example, my living situation as a partial cause of the problem, I can find a solution: move. I’m looking for these partial causes because partial solutions would still improve the situation, even if they can’t completely fix it. This is one of those pieces of advice that actually makes sense to me: change as much as you can, do as many little things as you can, and maybe, just maybe, that will have an impact on your perception of the situation at large. And since my emotional commitment is largely a matter of my perception, and improving my emotional state would eventually contribute to a complete solution, I think it’s worthwhile to keep looking at the little things. Don’t worry, though – I still spend plenty of time in mental self-flagellation.

12 comments:

  1. Hi there,

    I've been reading your blog now for about two weeks, I've been deliberating whether or not to respond or even just throw a word of sympathy here and there, now, after reading this post, I've decided to say
    something to you.

    So, far, all I've read is what you know you don't like. How about making a list for yourself that contains what you DO want from yourself, from your marriage, from life.

    After you make the list, see what is applicable to your day-to-day life and work from there.

    Good Luck!

    P.S. I'm divorced, Its not such fun being divorced!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you focus on the positives when you're feeling depressed? I try, but I can't seem to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Start by writing a list. At this point you don't need to do anything but write a list of things that you want to accomplish, that you think will make you happy. After you've done that go onto the next step.

    When you get so caught up in your "dirt" (self-pity/misery) you can't focus, get yourself out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The list is a good practical way of taking a step back and putting things in perspective, and taking stock.
    It seems you didn't quite know what to expect from marriage, and are now surprised with what you have, it not meeting the possibly vague expectations you had.
    On paper it was supposed to be perfect, but in practice it requires a lot of work. Maybe more than "normal" in your position for whatever reason. The list will hopefully help you see what you do have, and possibly help you see what you expected to have. You can then assess the picture as a whole without getting caught on the negatives.

    The depression is a concern. It is probably feeding off, and feeding, the general lack of "commitment". Neither of which are helpful. I suspect these are influencing the sex too. Sex is much like starting a new sport with a new partner who also doesn't know how to play. It takes a lot of practice to get it right. That said though, it should be enjoyable at the very least physically. In other words, even if you think you're not that attracted to the person, you should at least be able to identify the pleasurable sensations.

    The only way to make it better is to practice. (and perhaps read the manuals). Practice not only requires a willing partner, which you seem to have, but you too need to be willing, and more importantly you need to communicate with each other as to what feels good, and how to make it feel better. Moreover, you need to experiment a little to work out the best techniques for you as a couple.

    I don't know if you've spoken to any close girlfriends about the subject, but I suspect you'll find most frum newlyweds a little disappointed (both men and women) with the sex. Until both of the players get their skill level up to the point where it becomes fun. Think ping-pong. It's lousy until you can get a rally going!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One other point. You've been warned away from chatting directly to people. This is good advice.
    However, I'd also like to help, mainly for reasons I'd rather not mention I think I can offer sound advice, a different perspective and one based on a not insignificant amount of similar experience. I'd be happy to chat via email.
    I don't share a continent with you, as you can see from the IP, so no need to worry that I'm coming to visit ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got your point here (especially the baby part =)) you are right that blaming and looking for a reason are easy to confuse.I support the idea of making a list.
    As for sex, i guess it is not easy for a frum young woman to know what she wants in bed and say it out loud because of lack of experience; and if previously sex was not enjoyable, they may not trust each other enough to talk about their feelings openly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Commitment.

    From my personal experience only.

    I probably go to extremes - and maybe that has helped me jump so very quickly over the initial bumps/and unmet expectations of a typical new marriage. (ANY marriage.)

    How: I absolutely, positively, do not allow my mind to wander to "what might have been" land... In fact, you mentioned your husband not having your ideal "physique". I too grew up with a different idea of a handsome male... similar points to what you brought up. But because I consciously committed to falling in love with my husband... I only focused on his features (including personality) that I found endearing. (And I made it a point, not to indulge in any "looking around" at men with that kind of an "eye", both in real-life or otherwise. So while my friends could point out - wow - he's hot looking at some random shmoe - I conditioned myself such that I get mad at such comments/thoughts. I believe it's mental-cheating. It saps some sexual/attraction energy out of a committed relationship.)

    Of course, whenever I'd get mad at him, those "other features" would become SO GLARINGLY OBVIOUS to the point that I'd get turned-off... (and I believe anyone happily married can attest to that on some level) and I'd have to work hard on re-focusing my mind back to all his positives.

    It takes ALOT of MENTAL work!

    But that is what marriage is all about - work, and maintenance - but it has its wonderful rewards!

    The easiest way to get myself to do that? REMINDING myself that just like I know I'm not perfect, (you know - probably not the EXACT ideal body or personality combo that my husband imagined for himself) and I want to be accepted and loved for who I am... my husband deserves that same chance. And every time my husband proved that to me, by overlooking something or another and still being sweet to me - it earned him permanent points in my "love bank". I go back to that all the time - whenever we're having a downer phase...

    Another thing that help(ed)(s) me out of such a funk... is to force myself to SAY nice things (even though sometimes I didn't feel it 100%) and do nice things for my husband... which actually is VERY HARD to do when you're in that down mode... but like they say in those marriage books - it sure does work. Contrary to what we may think - we actually develop a love for those to whom we GIVE, more than GET.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. IF it's true depression, then yes, you've got a problem. It is very difficult, to the point of almost impossible, to "snap out of" a bleak mode, BY YOURSELF, when depression gets a hold of you.

    For that, you probably need a combination of professional help (but a POSITIVE, UPBEAT type) and heavy doses of spirituality - trying to connect to Hashem - however it works for you. Even simply "talking" (and crying) to Him, can help.

    And if true depression is the case, you must remember that until that it's resolved - you will stay there. Whether you "move away', divorce, etc. So that's probably not "the solution" to consider. Not even a partial one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ps can you tell me how you made the layout for your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  10. In support of your quest to find guidance from the "non-experts":

    http://directorblue.blogspot.com/2009/02/wisdom-of-crowds-and-obamanomics.html


    C_A

    ReplyDelete
  11. btw if you're going to be carrying on email chat with dainty privately I suggest that you do phone her at least once. just to be sure she is a woman.

    I may seem paranoid. But I'm not. if fact i started out naive. I'm telling you these things because I learned them the hard way.

    and be careful not to give any identifying information away.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh no, i'm not providing marriage therapy over telephone or e-mail (not for free, anyway, lol!)
    just a random comment every now and then, you know! =))
    by the way, Bilingual, if I add harsh comments it does not mean that I don't blame/reprimand my own husband for small things on the daily basis! let's be real, the men can't be more than just men :)))

    your multilingual dainty

    ReplyDelete